Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Canterbury - Mill Lane ...

 ... the Causeway Bridge over the River Stour ...
  
 ... view across the Stour towards North Lane
from the Miller's Field park area ...
     
... Abbott's Mill garden ...
   
... the Stour and Mill House (left building)...
by tadobinsonconstruction.co.uk
... the design of Mill House in Mill Lane was conceived by 
the Lee Evans Partnership to represent similarities to
part of the old mill which orignally stood on the site.
The mill itself, known as Abbot's Mill 
was burnt down in February 1933.
  
by machadoink.com
... was so called because it once belonged to the abbot
of
St. Augustine, and that as early as king Stephen's reign, 
being then purchased by the abbot Hugh, 
the second of that name, at his own cost,
for the use of the facility of his monastery...

  
... the cast iron axle of the corn mill can still
be seen today on the banks of the river ...
   
...  St Radigunds Bridge - River Stour ...
  
... the Millers Arms Inn was built in 1826 to serve local 
mill workers and overlooks the Cathedral and
the site of the old mill on the causeway.
Traditional Kentish cask ale is always available ...
source: millerscanterbury.co.uk 
   
Abbott's Mill ...
... this corn mill stood on the site of a medieval mill owned
by the Abbot. The building dated from 1792 and 
was originally designed as a granary by John Smeaton. 
In 1794 it was converted into a watermill by Joseph Royle
and James Simmons.  The building was 18.29 m square in plan,
and 6 storeys tall. The base was brick and the upper 5 storeys
were wood, clad in white painted weatherboarding.
At the time it was built, it was the second tallest building in
Canterbury, after the Cathedral. There were 2 waterwheels
each 3.66 m diameter and 1.83 m diameter driving a total
of eight pairs of stones. In 1896 it was bought by Denne's. 
The mill was destroyed by fire on 17 October 1933 ... 
   source: en.wikipedia.org

counter