Thursday, December 23, 2010

Oxford - High Street - more alleyways ...

 ... time-trodden alleyways ...
... passage to Chiang Mai Kitchen, this 
was formerly known as Carter’s Passage ...
source: headington.uk.org
  
... 'Kemp Hall', on the right side.
According to Anthony Wood, "Kemp Hall" was
 an early university hall named after John Kemp,
 Archbishop of Canterbury, who studied there ...
  
... Alderman William Boswell, who lived at 130 High Street,
built the present Kemp Hall in his back garden in 1637,
and this date remains over the doorway...
By 1995–present: Chiang Mai Kitchen
source: headington.uk.org
  
... passage to The Chequers ...
... there is an old model of a dog holding a pocket watch 
in it's mouth over the shop front (Payne Silversmith).
The passage beneath this sign leads to the Chequers Inn behind ...
source: headington.uk.org
   
   
... Tile mural/ceramique plaque: illustration of a hare
and 'Halls Oxford & West Brewery Co Ltd' ...
     
Whilst Halls Oxford Brewery can trace its history back
to 1646, it was acquired by Allsopp & Sons Ltd in 1928.
Ind Coope resurrected the company in 1980
  
... The reasonably large number of plaques,
still to be seen in Oxford ...
source: breweryhistory.com
  
... the attractive, colourful, easily cleaned, hygienic tiles
and faience could be used on the facade to catch the eye
of the passer-by, to present the symbol or brand image
of pub or brewery, to brighten up long corridors ...
source:lynnpearson.co.uk
  
... From 1260 until 1434, this was a private home 
which became the premises of a money-lender
who operated under the old Roman sign
 for that trade, the chequer board.
  
From 1279 it comprised 3 tenants, the western side

of which was converted into an inn by Richard Kent
in 1500 with oak panelling, a stone fireplace and
 carved stonework - much of which remains today.
  
The earliest reference to The Chequers Inn was

when John Greene, a wollendraper, was given
licence to keep an inn at All Saints in 1605 ...
source: info The Chequers
   
... various demonstrations and exhibitions were held here.
In 1757, a camel of Cairo was put on show and 
in 1758, siamese twins from Whitney.
By 1762, the inn almost became a zoo - with 14 large animals -
including a 'sea-lioness', another camel, an american marsupial,
a racoon and a very large fish, possibly a shark.
In 1776, a giant from Hertfordshire caused such interest
that he spent most of his time dining in various colleges.
  
During Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries,
it is said that soldiers drove a group of monks into
an underground passage which ran from the building
to The Mitre opposite, then sealed it up.
When the pub is very quiet, the screams of this 
dying monks can still be heard, so it is alleged.
No one has ever found a tunnel, let alone the bones
of dead monks beneath High Street ...
source: info The Chequers
  
The Chequers inn:
- proud selection of five local & seasonal ales,
- award winning sausages,
- the best in British sausages, served with pride ...

counter