Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Oxford - Broad Street ...

… Balliol College main gate ... 
... this Gothic range of Balliol College is known
as the Brackenbury Buildings.
Built by Alfred Waterhouse in 1867–68 ...
source :
... the main entrance to the college 
is through the central gate tower ...
source :
... University of Oxford academic dress ...
... the University of Oxford  has a long tradition of academic dress,
 and a visitor to Oxford during term will see 
academic dress worn on a regular basis ...
source : 

… Balliol College hoodle, T-shirt, college ties … 

… Balliol College was founded around 1263 and is one of
 three Oxford colleges competing for the title of oldest college,
the others being Merton and University College ... 
… Balliol graduates have a particular reputation for political 
achievement,with three former British Prime Ministers
 amongst the Balliol alumni, not to mention the current
 Mayor of London, Boris Johnson …
… ‬Trinity College main gate‭ …
... most of Trinity College is hidden away behind‭ these gates:‭
‬it does not show its buildings on the street like its neighbour Balliol‭ …
source:‭ ‬
‭…‬the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity in‭ ‬the University
of Oxford‭ ‬– Trinity College, for short‭ ‬– stands adjacent to 
Balliol College,‭ opposite Turl Street‭ ‬in the heart of Oxford.
Whilst it has a relatively small,‭ ‬close-knit‭ ‬student body,
Trinity College is set in expansive grounds,
‭ ‬with four stunning,‭ ‬main quadrangles‭ …‬. ‭
‬… Originally founded in‭ ‬1555‭ ‬by Sir Thomas Pope, on the site
of the monastic Durham College,‭ Trinity College weathered
political unrest throughout the English Civil War,‭ ‬before
 expanding in the‭ ‬19th and‭ ‬20th centuries‭ …
source:‭ ‬
... the President's lodgings of Trinity College are set well back
from Broad Street. Built by Sir Thomas Graham Jackson
in 1885–87 in part of the garden of Kettell Hall ...
... Another Time Xi‭ (‬2009‭) ‬by Antony Gormley
the artist’s official site ...
… ‬a sculpture by Antony Gormley now stands on‭
the roof of Exeter College's Thomas Wood Building,
overlooking the junction of Board Street and Turl Street.‭
The‭ ‬2‭ ‬meter-tall statue is made of cast iron.
‭ ‬An anonymous benefactor provided the funds‭
for Exeter College to secure the sculpture‭ …
The Thomas Wood building is the work of Lionel Brett
and was opened in‭ ‬1964.‭ ‬It commemorates‭
the‭ ‬650th anniversary of the foundation of the College,‭
the fourth oldest in Oxford‭ …
… there was a bookshop on this site from‭ ‬1731‭ ‬to
the‭ ‬1990s.‭ ‬In‭ ‬1964‭ ‬the old bookshop was pulled down
by Exeter College and replaced by their Thomas Wood
Building,‭ ‬shown above,‭ ‬designed by Brett‭ & ‬Pollen‭ ‬...
source:‭ ‬
... looking south along Turl Street towards ...
... All Saints Church, now Lincoln College library ...
52 Broad Street - The White Horse (16th century)
... no juke box, no quiz machines just good
home cooked food and a great selection of real ales.
Featured in Inspecto Morse series in 1987. A more
recent feature in the filming of the Oxford Murders ...
... in 1980 a fire broke out on the first floor kitchen
causing extensive structural damage, it was at this time
a 'witches broom' was discovered behind the wall.
No one would touch this broom for fear of superstition
so they simply left it in place and boarded it up
and it remains there to this day! ...
source: info The White Horse
... It is one of Oxford's oldest pubs and belonged to the city
 from 1629 to 1773, and is now owned by Exeter College ...
... Blackwell’s‭ ‬ bookshop on the north side of Broad Street ...
... There, in the Broad, within whose booky house
Half England’s scholars nibble books or browse.
Where'er they wander blessed fortune theirs:
Books to the ceiling, other books upstairs;
Books, doubtless, in the cellar and behind
Romantic bays, where iron ladders wind ...
John Masefield
... Balliol College, the White Horse, Blackwell's,
looking westerly on Broad Street ...
... Exeter College Broad Street buildings ...  
... Exeter College is at the heart of The University of Oxford.
One of the three Turl Street Colleges, and founded
in 1314 by the Bishop of Exeter, Walter Stapleton,
Exeter College was originally intended as a school for clergy.
Nowadays, it excels in many areas, with notable former
students in the literary field, from Alan Bennett to Philip Pullman.
Despite its status as one of the University of Oxford's
oldest colleges, Exeter College is famous for 

its welcoming, close-knit student body ...

... H. J. Underwood built the eastern end of the Exeter College
Broad Street buildings (from the present gateway to 
what is now the Museum of the History of Science) ...
The Museum of the History of Science or "Old Ashmolean" (1679–83)
Probably designed by the Oxford master-mason Thomas Wood
It was the first museum in the world to open its doors to the public. 
... the east end of Broad Street with Museum of the History
of Science,‭ Sheldonian Theatre,‭ and ‬Clarendon Building ...
... The Sheldonian is called the "theatre" because
its design resembles that of a Roman theatre,
but no plays are performed here ...
The inscription across the Broad Street front reads:
(Charles II, by the grace of God King of Great Britain,
France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith) ...
... the above view of the Sheldonian Theatre actually only
shows its rear, and it has been described as sticking out
into Broad Street like the stern of a ship ...
... The Theatre, built in 1664–69, was the very first work
 of Sir Christopher Wren ...
... the Heads of the "Emperors"  (1662–68) 
and 'the Clarendon Building' (1711–13) in distance ...
... 13 square pillars topped by head-and-shoulder busts
 mark the front boundary of the Sheldonian ...
... another 4 matching heads were carved to go in front of
the 'Old Ashmolean' . The present heads are the third set.
The first set lasted 200 years, but by 1868 they were
 crumbling and new ones were erected ...
... between 1970 and 1972 the sculptor Michael Black,
with two assistants, carved thirteen new heads for
the Sheldonian, copying the originals by referring to
the Loggan engraving; later he did another four for
the Museum of the History of Science.
Each head took a minimum of thirty hours' work ...
... the official name for such heads is "herms";
the original accounts describe these heads as "termains";
and some people call them philosophers.
But Max Beerbohm in Zuleika Dobson called them
"Emperors", and that is the name that has stuck.
Each head shows a different type of beard ...
... view of the north face of the Divinity School (1424-1490)
from Broad Street, behind the Sheldonian Theatre
and Clarendon Building ... 
... The Divinity School is a beautiful medieval building
and room in the Perpendicular style part of the University
of Oxford. It is the oldest surviving purpose-built building
for university use, specifically for lectures and discussions
on theology. It is no longer used for this purpose ...
 ... The question is often asked "Where is the University?".
These buildings form the nearest equivalent to the centre
 of the University, since most academic buildings in
 the centre of Oxford are owned by individual (and
autonomous) colleges rather than the University itself ...
Tour of Broad Street
...take the tour - general history - news ...
... locally,‭ ‬the street is traditionally known as The Broad ...