Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Brûly-de-Pesche ...

... map Hitler's Headquarters location - photocredits Robert Mary ...

... hidden deep in the forest close to the French border,
the Nazi leader only commanded from here for a few
months in 1940, but in so doing he put the site on the map ...
source: lonelyplanet.com
  
... panel 'historical relics', in 1977 ...
  
... panel 'Hitler's shelter' ...
  
... entrance of Hitler's bunker Wolfsschlucht 1, in 1977
(start building: 1-may-1940) ...
     
... walking in the forest near the FHQ, in 1977 ...
  
... in 1940, the church served as movie theater for Hitler ...
source: atlanticwallbelgiumboulogne.com
  
... Place Saint-Méen ...
  
... Linden Tree planted in 1905 to commemorate
the 75th Anniversary of Belgium Independence ...
  
... The 'Pastorie', (right building) the adjudants of Hitler,
Captain Engel and Captain Gabriël were staying here ....
... in 1940 the school (left building) was confiscated
and became the HQ of the Wehrmacht ...

source: atlanticwallbelgiumboulogne.com
... the former town school is now a Gîte d'étape
"Brûly Ecole" for group lodging ...
source: opt.be
  
... panel historical site 40-44 ...
... memorial for the 'groupe D Hotton Service de Sabotage',
 a special sabotage group for the Belgian Secret Army Service
(HQ in London) ...
     
... resistance fighters of the Maquis attacked
 German troops until country liberation ...

   
 
... memorial 'Our Lady of the Maquis' chapel -
dome with names of fallen resistance fighters ...
  
General German Headquarters 1940 ... (EN)
 by opt.be
... Park and World War II Bunker area.
Two pavilions have been reconstructed to the image
of those of 1940. In the first pavillion numerous
original photographs and DVD films are on display.
The second pavilion is dedicated to the resistance ...

counter