Friday, August 6, 2010

Yainville - Heurteauville ...

... Yainville - a tall bonfire is built in order to be lit
on St John's Day on June 24, on Midsummer day ...

... photo credits: Nadine Ribes ...
... in France, the "Fête de la Saint-Jean" traditionally
celebrated with bonfires / le feu de la Saint-Jean
that are reminiscent of Midsummer's pagan rituals,
is a catholic festivity in celebration
of Saint John the Baptist ...
source: en.wikipedia.org

... bac/ferry: Yainville -Heurteauville
in 1978
...

... ferries of the Seine River ...
by bacsdeseine.over-blog.com
... postcards ...

... the massive red-brick power station Yainville (1952),
overlooking the Seine River
at Yainville, in 1978,
(demolished in 1991) ...

... view from the ferry (2010) on the former Yainville I,
thermic power plant,
the former Normandy soap factory,
and the empty place, where once stood the massive
power station Yainville ...


... farm/ferme de la Grange aux Dîmes, spring 1968 ...

... Tithe barn/la Grange Dîmière, (12th century)
spring 1968
...


... peat of the old peat bogs of Heurteauville, in 1978 ...

... chapelle du Bout-du-Vent (1730)/
church of Saint-Simon-and-Saint-Jude ...

... the bell and some building materials are remains
of the chapel of Torp at Mailleraye-sur-Seine ...
source: jumieges.free.fr/bouduvent

... hiking & biking trail ...

... Paeonia officinalis 'Rubra Plena' peony -
double-flowered cultivar ...

... irises growing on the rooftop ...
... the thatched cottage has become synonymous
with Norman rurality and particularly with half

timbered houses ...
source: pnr-seine-normande.com

... the Normandy iris ...

... on the D65 road, spring 1968 ...

... vous êtes ici / you're here -
Heurteauville ... (EN)
by en.wikipedia/org
... a farming village situated in a meander
of the river Seine,
some 19 km west
of Rouen, on the D65 road ...


... The origin of the name Heurteauville comes
from Hartelvilla,"city of the Hartel", named
after a family since the eighteenth century.

Richard II donated half the town
to the Abbey Jumièges,
in 1027.
Hartelvilla,became a hamlet of Jumièges.
Heurteauville became a separate municipality
in 1868.
In 1972, it was attached to the
Township of Caudebec-en-Caux ...

source: infoboard

counter