Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thuin ...

... the Biesmelle river ...

... view on the Belfry from the Biesmelle Valley ...

... terraced gardens of Thuin ...

... The charming “hanging gardens” on the southern
flank of the Thuin hill can be visited on foot,
following a path enhanced by several
explanation signs ...


... Flower Fair Thuin ...

... 'caution! local fair' road sign ...

... lots of flowers ...

... and local products ...

Fancy Poultry - Izegemse koekoek /
Cuckoo d' Izeghem (EN)
by Association for Promotion of Belgian Poultry Breeds
... Already in 1554 the Izegem was mentioned in
the writings of Aldernardiana
...
... The Izegem is a very rustic and tough breed
but also very docile and familiar ...

state : rather rare. There are some breeders left
in Flanders but the Izegem is not well known.
Unknown in other countries...

... Ukkelse baardkriel /
porcelaine Belgian
bearded d'Uccle ... (EN)
by Association for Promotion of Belgian Poultry Breeds
... In 1905 the first birds were entered at
a poultry show as Uccle bearded bantams ...

... famous nickname of this breed is in fact
‘the living flower of our gardens’
...

... combattant Liègeois / Liège game ... (EN)
by Association for Promotion of Belgian Poultry Breeds
... At the end of the 19th century people in the Liège
region tried to make the Bruges game an even
better fighter. To achieve this goal it was crossed
with Asian gamefowl, probably Malays and this
resulted in a new Belgian breed, the Liège game
...

... an art deco house ...

... Saint-Roch military march procession Poster ...
... Every third Sunday of May, the town commemorates
the help it received from Saint Roch during its fight
against the Spanish army in 1654. The parade,
as much a military march as a religious procession,
was banned in the 18th century, but was reinstated
in 1866 after Saint Roch delivered the city again,
this time from an epidemic of cholera.
The tradition has continued until today,
interrupted only by the two world wars ...

source: en.wikipedia.org

... Thuin ... (EN)
by en.wikipedia.org
... The earliest name of the settlement, Thudinium Castellum,
referring to a Roman fortification, is found on a 9th century
offering in the Lobbes abbey, which lists various
neighbouring towns and related tithe duties ...

counter