Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Kalterherberg ...

... bridge of the former railway line 'Vennbahn' ...

... hiking trail to Monschau ...

... the former Premonstratensian / Norbertine monastery ...

... inside the courtyard ...

... the abbey church (1692)
Patron saints:
St Mary - St Bartholomew - St Laurentius ...


History:
1135: Duke Walram III Pagagus von Niederlothringen,
Duke of Limburg (1085-1139) donates his run-down
Burg Richwinstinne to the Premonstratensians /
the Norbertines, to found a monastery ...

... then a double monastery, a separate monastery
for monks and an abbey for nuns was formed ...

1270-1484: convent for the canonesses /
Norbertine Sisters
..
1487: after a failed attempt at reform it became
a monastery for the monks from the Steinfeld abbey ...

1543: soldiers of Charles V destroyed the monastery ...
1553: rebuilding of the abbey starts ...
1636-1686: Stephan Horrichem "Apostle of the Venn"
abbot of the abbey
...
1687: building of the new Priory
1692: the foundation stone was laid
of the new abbey church
...
1714 : independent provost ...
1802: under French rule, the abbey was dissolved in
the secularisation. The last monks left the monastery.

The property became 'Gut Reichenstein' ...
1973: 'Gut Reichenstein became private property
and was partly restored ...

1972: start of church restoring by 'Verein der Freunde
u Förderer Reichenstein
'
2008: property of the St Benedict "Priestly Fraternity
of St. Pius X" to found a monastery with the help
of the Benedictine monastery of Bellaigue
(Auvergne/France)
...
source: Wir gründen ein Kloster - youtube

counter