Monday, May 31, 2010

Berlin - Hauptbahnhof ...

... Berlin Hauptbahnhof / Berlin Central Station
designed by architect Meinhard von Gerkan,
view from Moltkebrücke bridge ...

... the train bridge over the Spree River and
the Charité GDR high-rise building (1982)
with the Charité sign on top,widely
visible across town

... The station hosts several international trains, and
the most distant cities reached are Novosibirsk
(Russia) and Astana (Kazakhstan), with an express
named "Sibirjak".


... The Berlin Hauptbahnhof has railway tracks on
two levels,
running perpendicular with each other.
The level between them
is used for entry and
exit from the building, and for shopping ...


... loved the Lindt Easter Bunny ...

... the Bundeskanzlerambt in distance ...

Berlin Hauptbahnhof / Berlin Central Station ... (EN)
... is the main railway station in Berlin, Germany and the largest
crossing station in Europe. It began full operation two days after
a ceremonial opening on 26 May 2006.
It is now Europe's largest two-level railway station.
It is located on the site of the historic Lehrter Bahnhof,..

... 1,800 trains call at the station per day and the daily number
of passengers is estimated to be at 350,000 ...

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Berlin - Moabit ...

... view Hauptbahnhof and Moltke bridge
from Spreeufer near Kanzleramt ...

... view on Magnus-Hirschfeld-Ufer and
'Bundestagsschlange / Federal Snake Complex' -

at Moabiter Werder ...

... the so-called 'Abgeordnetenschlange' on Joachim-
Karnatz-Allee lies on the other bank of river Spree.
This block of flats has been constructed for the politicians
of Bonn. Due to their low inquiry, today all citizens
can rent a flat as well ...


... Bundestagsschlange (1999)
designed by architect Georg Bumiller ...
This big housing project of the German government
in the city centre of Berlin is a residential building for
government employees. The original main building
of 300 m. length was built according to plans by
Georg Bumillers. Its ground plan has the shape of
a wavy, serpentine line, like the one made by a snake.
In addition to this complex with 718 apartments,
the site contains four apartment blocks by Urs Müller,
Rhode & Wandert and, in the western part, a brick
building dating from 1934. Further buildings include
a new gymnasium, a power plant and a children's
day centre, designed by GKK Partners ...


... the Lutherbrücke ...
... wrought iron railings, cast-iron lamp posts, obelisk
at the bridge heads, surmounted by golden stars ...

... view on the Spree River and Bellevue S-Bahn bridge ...

... Erected in 1891–92, the landmarked Lutherbrücke
the River Spree in the immediate vicinity
of Bellevue Castle – the home of Germany’s

Federal President – and the park on the grounds
of the President’s Triangle ...

... Accordingly, architect Otto Stahn chose
a grand design for this bridge.

Heavily damaged during World War II, the bridge
has been fully restored to
its former glory –
including the reconstructed candelabras fitted
with high
power projectors of the 490 series.

Die Lutherbrücke ... (DE)
(1892 - renovated 1952)
designed by government architect Carl Bernhard
... ist eine denkmalgeschützte steinerne Auto-, Rad- und Fußgänger-
brücke über die Spree in Berlin. Sie wurde 1893 nach
dem deutschen Reformator Martin Luther benannt....

Friday, May 28, 2010

Berlin - Olympischer Platz ...

... in the background the Bell tower (77m)
/ Langemarckhalle and the Franconian
and Swabian Tower, (each 36 m tall)

between the Olympic Stadium
and the 'Maifeld

... Maifeld is the huge field located directly behind
the Olympic Stadium in Berlin.
During the Nazi era, it was used for mass rallies.
After the war, the occupying British forces
used it as their drilling ground ...


... South Gate view from Coubertin Platz ...

"Der Diskuswerfer/The Discus Throwers" (1936)
by Karl Albiker

... the East gate with Olympic rings ...

... entrance East Gate at dusk,
view from Olympischer Platz ...

Berlin Olympiastadion ... (EN)
... former names: Deutsches Stadion, old Olympiastadion ...
... The current Olympiastadion was originally built for
the 1936 Summer Olympics in the southern part of
the Reichssportfeld (today Olympiapark Berlin).
During World War II, the area suffered little damage ...

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Berlin - Friedrichstraße #1 ...

... "You are leaving the American Sector"
Allied Checkpoint Charlie,
in December 1979,
the former border crossing point between
East and West Berlin ...

... The concrete watchtower by the Berlin Wall was
once used by Soviet and East German soldiers
guarding the east-west border

... Checkpoint Charlie - which divided the US and
Soviet sectors in Berlin - was used as a crossing for
foreigners such as Allied diplomats and soldiers.
It came to symbolise the drama of the Cold War,
and was the scene of several escape attempts.
The Berlin Wall divided the city from 1961 to 1989 ...

... Berlin map, 2010 ...

...corner Kochstrasse / Friedrichstrasse,
April 2010 ...

... Museum Am Checkpoint ...
... outside the museum hangs a replica of
the last Soviet flag to fly over the Kremlin

... Marx's Socialism lurks just around the corner ...
... European Socialism, which is its modern form,
stands for the Union of Europe on a Socialist basis ...

... fake 'Allied Checkpoint Charlie'
for tourists, April 2010 ...
... the concrete watchtower was torn down in 2000,
to make way for offices and shops. ...

... the Mauermuseum / Wall museum ... (EN-FE-DE)
... T
he first exhibition opened on the 19 October 1962
in an apartment with only two and a half rooms in
famous Bernauer Straße. We suggested that tourists be
thankful to those border guards who do not shoot to kill:
“See through the uniform!”

Some guards saw that we understood, and after
their own
escapes came to work with us.
The large number of visitors encouraged us to look for
new premises: on 14 June 1963 the “Haus am Checkpoint
Charlie” was opened and became an island of freedom
right next to the border. From here, through a small window,
escape helpers could observe all movements at the border
crossing; escapees were always welcome and supported,
escape plans were worked out,
and injustice in the GDR
was always fought against ...

... Kröner 'Zauberkönig / King of Magic' memorial ...

Magic Circle Berlin commemorated Jewish Magicians
of Berlin
by Peter Schuster -
President of the Magischer Zirkel Berlin

On Friday March 6th, 2009, the Magischer Zirkel Berlin
(MZB) commemorated the Jewish founders of
the famous magic shop "Zauberkönig" in Berlin:
Arthur and Charlotte Kroner and their daughter Meta.

During the ceremony brass plates ("Stolpersteine")
with their names and dates were put in the sidewalk
in front of the house in Friedrichstrasse where
the shop had been founded in 1899.
Charlotte Kroner was one of the famous Leichtmann-
daughters who managed the magic shops founded
by their father. The most famous of them Rosa
married Janos Bartl in Hamburg.

During a memory meeting the same day in the
theater of the MZB the members honoured also
other Jewish magicians Günther Dammann,
Dr. Stanley Jaks and Michel Seldow.

The historical project is studied by Birgit Bartl
together with the History Group of the MZB.


Der Zauberköning Berlin ... (DE)
... das Fachgeschäft der Magie ...

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Berlin - Friedrichstraße #2 ...

... Friedrichstadtpassagen Quartier 206
Friedrichstraße 71-74 ...

... cosmopolitan architecture with art-deco flair
of glass and black and white marble ...

... Interiors: Anna Marie Jagdfeld and Carla Sozzani,

... Quartier 206 - shopping and office complex,
designed by Pei, Cobb, Freed & Partners, New York
and opened in 1996 ....

Pei, Cobb, Freed & Partners ... (EN)
official site
... project : Friedrichstadt Passagen ...

Ieoh Ming Pei ... (EN)
... commonly known by his initials I. M. Pei, is a Chinese-born
American architect and is considered a master
of modern architecture.

Originally called I. M. Pei & Associates, the firm evolved
over many years to its current incarnation as
Pei Cobb Freed & Partners.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Berlin - Gendarmenmarkt ...

... The Konzerthaus Berlin / Concert Hall is the
most recent building on the Gendarmenmarkt.
It was built by Karl Friedrich Schinkel in 1821
as the Schauspielhaus. ...


... Genius of Music riding a lion (1851)
by Christian Friedrich Tieck ...

... detail of Schiller monument (1871)
by Reinhold Begas...

... allegorical figure, one of four sitting
at the feet of Schiller ...

... lions with iron chain in their mouths ...

... The Französischer Dom / French Cathedral, the older
the two cathedrals was built by the Huguenot
community between 1701 and 1705.
The cathedral was modeled after the destroyed
Huguenot church in Charenton-Saint-Maurice, France.

... taking a Segway tour of Berlin ...
... Cruise effortlessly through Berlin's parks and
sidewalks as you view the sites by Segway ...

Segway PT ... (EN)
... is a two-wheeled, self-balancing electric vehicle
invented by Dean Kamen ....

... The Gendarmenmarkt ... (EN)
... is a square in Berlin, and the site of the Konzerthaus
and the
French and German Cathedrals ...
... is named after the cuirassier regiment Gens d'Armes,
which was deployed at this square until 1773 ...

Monday, May 24, 2010

Berlin - Bebelplatz ...

.. empty bookshelves to house the 20,000 books burned ...

Versunkene Bibliothek/ Underground Library (1993-94)
by Micha Ullman

Monument to the May 10, 1933 Book burning
... The underground "Bibliothek/ Library" on Berlin's
August-Bebel-Platz is a square room set into the ground
with nothing but walls of empty shelves.
This library has no books.
In the evening and at night, visitors can look through
the glass into a brightly lit room – located exactly
where the Nazis burnt tens of thousands of books
on 10 May 1933. Students of the Humboldt University,
just across the road, were the main perpetrators ...


... nearby is a plaque bearing the poet Heinrich Heine's
words from 1820
(who attended Humboldt University
overlooking the square) ...


... In his 1821 play, Almansor, the German writer
Heinrich Heine — referring to the burning of the Muslim
holy book, the Qur'an, during the Spanish Inquisition
wrote, "Where they burn books, so too will they
in the end burn human beings."
("Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt,
verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen.")
One century later, Heine's books were among
the thousands of volumes that were torched
by the Nazis in Berlin's Opernplatz.

... Alte Bibliothek / the former Royal Library (1775-80)...
by Georg Friedrich Boumann in accordance
with plans by Georg Christian Unger,
reconstruction 1963-69 by Werner Kötteritzsch
This was the first independent library structure
in Berlin
and was built to house the Royal
Book Collection
founded in 1661 ...

The Bebelplatz / Bebel Square ... (EN)
... (formerly Opernplatz) is a public square in Berlin ...
... The Bebelplatz is best known as the site of the book burning
ceremony held on May 10, 1933 by members of the S.A.
("brownshirts") and Nazi youth groups, on the instigation of
the Propaganda Minister, Joseph Goebbels.
The Nazis burned around 20,000 books, including works
by Thomas Mann, Erich Maria Remarque, Heinrich Heine,
Karl Marx and many other authors ....

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Berlin - Unter den Linden ...

... trabants at the corner Unter den Linden
Friedrichstrasse, December 1979 ...

... there was always a distinct lack of paint in the east ...

... a walk to the Museum Island in the Eastern Sector
of Berlin, in December 1979 ...

... view on Pergamom Museum
from Schlossbrücke, in 1979 ...

Schlossbrücke ...(EN)
1821-24, renovated 1950
by Karl Friedrich Schinkel
... between the pedestals, wrought iron railings are
mounted with sea horses, tridents and dolphins

in reference to the water below ...

... Berlin map, 2010 ...

König Friedrich II. von Preußen / (1851)
King Friedrich II of Prussia Monument)
by Christian Daniel Rauch
... Friedrich II sitting on his trotting horse
in historical uniform with an ermine-lined
coat across his shoulders...

... He wears the characteristic three-cornered hat,
his head slightly bowed to the left.
His left hand grips the reins; the right hand on
his hip holds a crutch as a reference to
the aging king ...


... above the inscription section is an area dedicated
to Friedrich's contemporaries: life-size, fully sculpted
equestrian statues and figures fading into a flat relief
in the background, representing generals, state
officials, artists and scholars ...


... The monumental equestrian statue of
King Friedrich II of Prussia (1712-86) marks
the end of the "Forum Fridericianum" and
constitutes the start of the Linden Boulevard ...

... part of the campus of the Humboldt University ...

Palais Prinz Heinrich / Prince Heinrich Palace,
Humboldt-Universität / Humboldt University
1748-65 by Johann Boumann the Elder,
extension 1913-20 by Ludwig Hoffmann
... The open courtyard across from the Opera is
the honor court of the broad three-winged
structure of the Humboldt University.
The palace was built in 1748-53 as a city
residence for the brother of Friedrich II,
Prince Friedrich Heinrich Ludwig of Prussia.

The university was of particular importance to
the official GDR as it was here that Karl Marx
studied under the philosopher Hegel.
This also explains the quotation of Marxist thesis
of Feuerbach, "Philosophers only interpreted
the world differently; the point is to change it"
in golden letters in the main stairway ...


... statue of Friedrich Wilhelm III (1822)
Dem Gen. Grafen Bülow von Dennewitz
by Christian Daniel Rauch ...

Friedrich Wilhelm Freiherr von Bülow,
Graf von Dennewitz
.. General Bülow, a capable Prussian corps commander
who, in the campaign of 1813, defeated the French
at Großbeeren and Dennewitz. He also played
a prominent part at Waterloo in 1815 ...

The Neue Wach / New Guard House ... (EN)
... The building served as the main guard house and
the royal guard house until the end of the monarchy in 1918.
Heinrich Tessenow altered the building in 1930-31 to make
it a memorial for the fallen of the World War I.
Until 1945 the Neue Wache served as
a "Memorial for the Fallen of the War".
After war damage the memorial was reconstructed
in 1957-60 under the direction of Heinz Mehlan as
a "Memorial for the Victims of Fascism and Militarism".
In 1969, on the occasion of the twentieth anniversary
of the GDR's founding, Lothar Kwasnitza added
a glass prism structure with an eternal flame
in the center of the hall.
After German reunification the Neue Wache was
inaugurated on the National Day of Mourning in 1993 as
the "Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany"
with the mourning pieta by Käthe Kollwitz in Tessenow's
reconstructed "monumentally void interior hall".

Zeughaus /Armory ... (1695-1706)
by Johann Arnold Nering, Martin Grünberg
and Andreas Schlüter,
conversion 1730 by Jean de Bodt,
reconstruction from 1950 by Otto Haesler
... The structure, erected as a weapons arsenal
and repository for the Berlin fort,
is the oldest building on Unter den Linden and,
along with the castle lost after the war, one of
the city's most important Baroque structures ...

... view from Bebelsplatz ...

The Altes Museum / Old Museum ... (EN)
... The museum was built between 1823 and 1830
by the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel
in the neoclassical style to house
the Prussian Royal family's art collection ..

Unter den Linden ... (EN)
... became the best-known and
grandest street in Berlin ...