Saturday, May 8, 2010

Berlin - Treptower Park ...

... entrance S-Bahn Treptower Park ...

... Puschkin Allee entrance to the Park, a triumphal
arch made of grey granite.
An inscription honours
the soldiers
who “died for freedom and independence
of the socialist Motherland”
...
source: virtualtourist.com

... a promenade flanked by weeping birches leads
into the actual memorial through two stylized
flags sculpted
of red granite ...
source: stadtentwicklung.berlin.de

... the structures are made of granite removed from
Adolf Hitler's
demolished New Reich Chancellery and
are flanked by two statues of kneeling soldiers ...

source: berlin.barwick.de

... one side of the portal, designed
as a stylized Soviet flag
...
source: berlin.barwick.de

... view towards west ...
... at the entrance to the memorial on the monument's
central axis,
is another figure depicting Mother Russia
weeping at the loss of her sons ...
source: berlin.barwick.de

... Ehrenhain / the Grove of Honour ...

... stone on central avenue ...

... eight sarcophagi made of limestone blocks stand
on each side of the communal graves and symbolize
the 16 republics the Soviet Union consisted of
at the time.
The 16th sarcophagus was for
the 'Karelo-Finnish Soviet Socialist Republic'
which existed between 1940 and 1956.

Their reliefs illustrate scenes from the
"Great Patriotic War" waged from 1941 to 1945.
..
source: stadtentwicklung.berlin.de

Warrior-Liberator,(1948)
by Yevgeny Vuchetich

... President Vladimir Putin laying a wreath at
the monument
to the Soviet Warrior-Liberator
in Treptow Park.
16-june-2000
source: en.wikipedia.org

... aerial view of the Soviet War Memorial
Treptower Park ...
source: infoboard

The Soviet War Memorial / Cenotaph
in Treptower Park
by en.wikipedia.org
... is a vast war memorial and military cemetery in Berlin's
Treptower Park.
It was built to the design of the Soviet
architect Yakov Belopolsky
to commemorate 7,000 of the 20,000
Soviet soldiers who fell in the Battle of Berlin in April-May 1945.

It opened four years after the war ended on May 8, 1949,
and served as the central war memorial of East Germany.
..

counter