Monday, May 10, 2010

Berlin - Karlshorst ...

... established in 1895 as the Carlshorst mansion's colony.
Karlshorst from 1902 had access to the railway line
from Berlin to Breslau (today Wrocław) and developed
to a quite affluent residential area ...


... 'memory of a war' poster...

... the Berlin S-Bahn and Regional train station
Karlshorst, entrance ...

... beyond the railroad embankment the Kulturhaus
Karlshorst /culture house Karlshorst was
established
in the 60’s on the Treskowallee ...
source: berlin-fuer-entdecker.de

... After the end of the war in 1945 Karlshorst
was temporarily the head office for the Soviet
supreme command and till 1994 a garrison location.
This affected the local population, which had
to move
out of their houses for billeting.
Till the beginning of the
60’s big parts of the
residential districts on both sides
of
the Treskowallee were a restricted area.
A security
area in the Zwieseler Straße
still existed until 1994 ...

source: berlin-fuer-entdecker.de

... until 1949 the building was the former officers’ mess
of the Wehrmacht pioneer school and then the head-
quarters of the Soviet Military Administration in Germany.

source: en.wikipedia.org

... German-Russian museum of Berlin-Karlshorst ...
... with its exhibit about the German-Soviet war
from 1941
to 1945 and the relations between
both lands from 1917 to 1990.

In April 1945 it served as Soviet headquarters of
the
5th infantry under senior general Bersarin.
With the
signing of the unreserved capitulation
of
fascist Germany on 8 May 1945 an event
of big historical meaning took
place.
This military ceremony sealed the end of the

Second World War and the national-socialist rule of
violence in Europe. One day later, on 9th of May 1945,
the Soviet Military Administration in Germany (SMAD)
was founded in the same building, which handed over
its administrative functions in 1949 to the first
government of the GDR.
source: berlin-fuer-entdecker.de

... The capitulation of Germany was signed on
May 8th, 1945, in office`s casino the former fortress
pioneer school of the fascist armed
forces, in
Karlshorst. Here, in 1967 the Soviet
army founded
a “museum of capitulation”.

Today this historical place is the home
of the
German-Russian museum.
source: berlin-fuer-entdecker.de

... map 1939 - 1941 ...

... Nazi propaganda material ...

... anyone has any information on Joachim Schneider?
... museums from both countries and individual people
have provided a great deal of material ...
source: museum-karlshorst.de

... слава великой победе /
Glory to the Great Victory ...


... diorama 'storming of the Reichstag 30 april 1945' ...

... Der Kapitulationssaal / Room of capitulation ...
... Army Chief of Staff Field Marshall Wilhelm Keitel and
other German military leaders signed the unconditional
surrender papers in the presence of leaders of
the victorious Allied forces ...
source: en.wikipedia.org

... BM-13-Katyusha / 'Stalin's organ'
- a notable Soviet rocket launchers -
based on a SIL-151 truck...
by en.wikipedia.org
... The first self-propelled multiple rocket launchers — and arguably
the most famous — were the Soviet Katyushas, known also as
'Stalin's organs', first used during World War II and exported
to Soviet allies afterwards. They were simple systems in which
a rack of launch rails was mounted on the back of a truck.
This set the template for modern multiple rocket launchers.
...


... Katyusha multiple rocket launchers on a SIL 151 ...
... SU-100 tank destroyer, 100 mm gun (1944) ...
... ISU-152 self-propelled gun, 52 mm Howitzer ...
...heavy tank IS-2, A-19 122 mm gun (1943) ...
source: infoboard

... за Родину! / for the Motherland! ...
... medium tank T-34 ...

... project wohnpark Karlshorst (1935)
... former Soviet facilities in Karlshorst—once the KGB
Rezidentura
(Station) in Berlin, Soviet intelligence’s
largest foreign post during the Cold War
...
source: cia.gov

... entrance gate ...

... from 1936 until 1938 the former fortress pioneer
school of the Wehrmacht / fascist armed forces ...


... 'CCCP' graffiti ...

... Wohnpark Karlshorst, Zwieseler Straße 6-50 ...
KGB-Zentrale photo gallery ... (DE)
by Gerd Engelsmann - Berliner Zeitung
by berlinonline.de
... Ein neues Stadtquartier entsteht. ...

The German-Russian Museum Berlin-Karlshorst ... (EN)
by en.wikipedia.org
... is dedicated to German-Soviet and German-Russian
relations
with a focus on the German-Soviet war
1941-1945.
The Museum opened
to the public in May 1995 ...

... By means of its exhibits and public events
the museum strives to create a space for a critical
analysis of history, for education, for encounters,
and for increased understanding between
Germans and Russians ...


Museum Berlin Karlshorst ... (DE ... mid 2010 EN-RU)
by museum-karlshorst.de/
For your information:
The museum's website is currently under reconstruction.
From mid 2010 the complete contents will be
available
in English and Russian.

... On 8 May 1945, the Second World War in Europe
was ended in Berlin-Karlshorst. In
accordance with
the German-Soviet treaties
governing the withdrawal
of Soviet
troops, both sides agreed to remember at
this location the historic event whereby World War II
and the National
Socialist regime were ended ...

counter