Thursday, April 1, 2010

Trier #4 ...

... detail Palace Garden in March 2010 ...

... the Palace Garden in May 1983 ...

... the Constantine Basilika and
the Prince-electors Palace/
Kurfürstliches Palais ...

... South wing, built from 1756 by architect
Johannes Seiz
with assistance from sculptor
Ferdinand Tietz.
Assigned by prince-elector
Archbishop
Johann Philipp von Walderdorff ...
source: en.wikipedia.org

the Electoral Palace ... (EN)
by historicgermany.com
... directly next to the Basilica is considered one of
the most beautiful rococo palaces in the world ...

... Konstantin Basilika (Imperial Throne Room) ...
... built around 330 AD as audience hall (Aula Palatina) of t
he Roman imperial residence of Constantine the Great.

After the Roman era, it served the Frankish district counts
and later became the residence of the archbishops.
Restored to its original size, the throne room has served
as
the protestant church since 1856. It burned out in
1944 during World War II and was rededicated in 1956.

The monument uniquely empodies a seat of power
of the Roman Empire.

source: infoboard Trier

Aula Palatina ... (EN)
by en.wikipedia.org
... a basilica in the original Roman sense,
being the 67 m
long throne hall of Roman Emperor Constantine;
it is today used as a Protestant church ....


... a glimpse of Trier's medieval city wall ...

... the Frankenturm or propugnaculum,
Latin, meaning: fortification, rampart, defense ...

... This structure from the 11th century was erected
in a fashion typical of the Roman era, that is,
alternating layers of cut stone and bricks ...

... It is the only such structure whose purpose is still
recognisable, that of a residential tower.
Its name comes from Franco of Senheim, who lived
there in the 14th century. Presumably, in the
beginning, there was no entrance at ground level.
In 1308, the building was reduced by half, and
the upper storeys were replaced by a lean-to roof;
in 1938, Franco's Tower was reconstructed
to its original form.

source: trier.de

counter