Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Trier #5 ...

GALERIA Kaufhof Trier-Fleischstraße ... (DE)
... Überzeugende Angebote, günstige Preise, ...
... Ich freu` mich drauf!

... detail of the baroque St. George's Fountain /
Sankt Georgsbrunnen, by Johannes Seiz
between 1750 and 1751,is located in the Kornmarkt.
Representing the four seasons and the center obelisk
is topped by St. George slaying the dragon.

... the neo-Baroque style building of
Postbank at the Kornmarkt ...

Heuschreck-brunnen by Willi Hahn (1977)
... the Grasshopper fountain symbolising a Carnival
Society of Trier (Trierer Heuschreck since 1848)
with its first members:

'Auf der Konsole im mittleren Teil des Brunnenstocks
stehen fünf Trierer Originale ­ dickbäuchig, kurzbeinig
und verschmitzt grinsend nebeneinander:
der lange Koorscht neben dem kleinen Kneisjen,
Fischers Maathes neben dem schmalen Wichshänschen
mit dem Henkeltopf und letztlich Krons Ton
mit seiner Lederschürze. Im Brunnenschaft,
unter den Füßen der Steinfiguren,
steckt der Brunnenbaumeister Willi Hahn'.


... old door at the corner of
the Fleischstraße/Nagelstraße ...

... Karl Marx Haus / Birthplace of Karl Marx
March 2010 ...

... visit Karl Marx House in May 1983 ...

... Manifesto of the Communist Party ...
Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
line printer ASCII art in May 1983

line printer ASCII art
... Back in the late 1970s, someone got the clever idea
of scanning images into a computer. Once scanned, they
could be reproduced on gigantic 132 column line printers
as ASCII art using only standard keyboard characters,
since daisy wheel or old dot matrix impact printers
couldn't reproduce bitmapped images.
The result was a six-foot long black and white printout
that your could tape up on the wall of your research lab.


Karl Marx (1818-1883)
... was a German philosopher, writer and journalist
whose enormous impact on the world — for good or bad —
continues today. The “inventor” of communism was born
Karl Heinrich Marx in the German city of Trier
(then in Rhenish Prussia) to a Jewish family
whose members were all practicing Lutherans.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

BMW Isetta 250 ...

BMW Isetta 250
... while it retained the "Bubble Window" styling,
it differed from the Italian model in that
its headlamps were fixed separately to the sides
of the bodywork and it carried
the BMW badge below the windscreen ...
... The top speed of the Isetta 250
was rated as 85 km/h.
... source:

The Isetta ... (EN)
...was one of the most successful microcars produced
in the post-World War II years—a time when cheap,
short-distance transportation was most needed ...

Monday, March 29, 2010

Trier #6 ...

... Kaiserthermen Unterführung / Underbridge ...

Legal graffiti wall around Kaiserthermen
... here are 2 underbridges, each 50m long,
which are both legal spots to paint.
the walls are covered with tiles (no concrete)
and already completly painted..
policeheadquarter next to it..
but no worries:

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Trier #7 ...

... Imperial thermæ / Kaiserthermen ...
... The construction of the Imperial Baths started
under the Roman King Constantine at the end
of the 3rd century A.D. at the latest in Trier.
It was also the beginning of a changeable construction
history, which characterized the unfinished Imperial Baths.
Buildings with rich decorations, mural paintings and
valuable mosaics, following the North African example,
had been built until 316 A.D. The area of the Imperial
Baths was located at one of the main Roman roads,
called Decumanus Maximus. Similar to the Barbara Baths
there had been a Caldarium (warm bath), a Tepidarium
(warm air bath) and a Palaestra (gymnasium).
The Frigidarium (cold bath), which belonged to
the four parts of a Roman bath, had never been built.
In the middle of the 4th century A.D. at the latest,
the building measurements started again,
but they were not focused on finishing
the Roman Bath anymore.


Friday, March 26, 2010

Trier #8 ...

... the Roman Bridge across the Moselle River ...

... classicist railing - Johanniterufer ...

... In 1698, the bridge was blown up by French troops.
1716-18, the stone arches were renewed and
a crucifix and a statue of St. Nicholas were added ...
source: Aerilius

... view on the Mosel and the Zollkran (1774) ...

... Bacchus - Johanniterufer ...

Historic Treadwheel Crane 1774
Architekt Johannes Seiz
... the Baroque Customs Crane / Zollkran
or Younger Moselle Crane / Jüngerer Moselkran...

... Trier was a capital of the western Roman Empire,
situated on the navigable river Moselle.
The river was always important to the wine trade
and two old cranes, dating from 1413 and 1774,
survive on the river bank at Trier that were largely used
for loading casks of wine. Both are sited in squat circular
masonry towers with high conical roofs constructed in
two sections. The upper, turning, sections each have
two angled 13m long jibs protruding.
These could be used both to serve boats on the river
and the road on the bank simultaneously.
Each crane was powered by two treadwheels,
4.2m in diameter and 1.2m wide. which was driven
by human muscle power to move the pulleys.

Römerbrücke / Roman Bridge ... (EN)
by Aerilius
... is the oldest bridge in Germany.
The pillars were errected 144 to 152 AD.
The massive pillars made of basalt blocks were connected
with a wooden construction at Roman times.
The bridge is 198 m long and the pillar spacings
differ between 10.1 and 21.25 m. ...

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Neumagen-Dhron ...

... the circular tour / Archäologischer Rundweg ...

... Weingut Klaus Krebs - Römerstrasse ...

... century flood of Mosel in December 1993
and in January 1995 again ...

... copy Roman wineship ca. 205 AD ...
.. once the grave memorial to a wealthy Roman wine trader
dating from ca. 205 AD. ...


... Ancient Shipping ...
Museum's researchers assume that Roman battleships
were used for transporting goods during peacetime
and thus were reequipped accordingly.

The Museum for Ancient Shipping in Mainz develops
construction plans an models of these ships.

Alongside physical and engineering considerations,
the starting points for these constructions and their
proportions come from drawings of ships on Roman
monuments and from discoveries of ancient shipwrecks.
the sketches (image 1: from above, image 2: side view)
provide a reference for the Neumagener Roman Wine Ship

source: infoboard

... copy Weinschiff mit Fröhlichem Steuermann/
the Happy Helmsman grave memorial ...

... The Ausonius road ...
... In around 370 AD,the Roman poet Decimus Magnus
Ausonius describes the beautiful Mosel landscape
in his poem 'Mosella'. He describes a journey on
the Roman road from Mainz via Hunsrück to
Neumagen (Noviomagus, the famous castle of
the holy Constantine) which leads to Trier.
This Roman Road is named The Ausonius Road
after the poet.
The path of the current road
from Hunsrück is almost identical to the original.
In the Peutinger Map, the road is drawn
from Bingen via Neumagen to Trier.

In general, Roman Roads were 6 metres wide.
The roads were slightly cambered, built up in layers
and achieved a thickness of up to one metre.
They were sealed with mortar.
Outside the cities, the roads - north of the Alps -
were covered with sand and gravel.
The roads were lined by ditches on either side ...

source: infoboard

Tabula Peutingeriana / Peutinger Map ... (EN)
... is an itinerarium showing the cursus publicus,
the road network in the Roman Empire. ...

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

the Mosel Valley ...

... meandering down the Mosel - the Mosel River Valley
offers Roman ruins, medieval castles
and renowned wines ...

... the Mosel river near the village of Piesport ...

... Burgruine Landshut (1277)
ruin of the Castle of Landshut ...

Weingut Wwe. Dr. H. Thanisch ... (EN-DE)
... the internationally recognized Wwe. Dr. H. Thanisch,
Erben Müller-Burgraef estate is located in
the picturesque town of Bernkastel-Kues

in the heart of the Middle Mosel.
Here we cultivate, 12 hectares (ca. 30 acres)
of prime, steep Riesling sites. ...

Bernkastel-Kues ... (EN)
... is a town over 700 years old,
located on the Moselle river ...

... sundial Weingut Zeltinger Sonnenuhr - Zeltingen,
one of the notable vineyards of the Mittelmosel ...

... Ürziger Sonnenuhr /sundial Ürzig ...
... In-between the well-known vineyard
‘Ürziger Würzgarten’
you have a view of
the oldest sundial of the Moselle Valley...


... in the 19th century, large sundials were built in
these vineyards so that the workers would know what
to break for lunch or the end of the work day.
Since these vineyards receive the most exposure
to the sun, many of the wines produced from
these vineyards are richer and more full-bodied
than wine produced from other vineyards.
In a similar way to many of Burgundy's Grand Cru
vineyards, the Sonnenuhr vineyards are highly parceled
with multiple owners of individual plots or
rows of vines. The Wehlener Sonnenuhr vineyard
alone has more than 200 owners.


... Reiler Goldlay vineyards ...

...still winter in the vineyards at Reil ...

Reil - Mosel (EN-DE)
... the official website of the wine
and holiday resort of Reil-Mosel

Mosel wine region ... (EN)
The area is known for the steep slopes of the region's vineyards
overlooking the river.
The Mosel is mainly famous for its wines made
from the Riesling grape, but Elbling and Müller-Thurgau also
contributes to the production. Because of the northerly location
of Mosel, the Riesling wines are often light, low in alcohol,
crisp and high in acidity, and often exhibit "flowery"
rather than "fruity" aromas.