Friday, February 19, 2010

Gent #2 ...

The Kleine Sikkel ... (EN)
by 4.gent.be
... This impressive building on the corner of Nederpolder and Biezekapelstraat
is known as the Kleine Sikkel and dates from early 13th century.
Its present appearance is the result of restoration work in 1912.
The front is a wide castellated protective façade in Tournai stone
which is typical of the first stone dwellings in the city.


... music conservatoire student's bikes
in front of the Grote Sikkel...


The Grote Sikkel ... (EN)
by 4.gent.be
... on the corner of Biezekapelstraat and Hoogpoort,
is built with limestone from Tournai and
dates from 1481
according to archive fragments
.
The City of Ghent purchased the buildings in order
to house the music conservatoire.
...
... The Achtersikkel, together with the Grote Sikkel and
the Kleine Sikkel,
made up a complex unit ...

... can you find the woman? ...
(part of a doorstep bannister)

can you find the 12 faces? ... (EN)
by drdeborahserani.blogspot.com
... Time for some illusion fun ...
... hiding in the tree?


... flags of Ghent city, Province East-Flanders,
Flanders, Belgium and Europe
on the Gothic part of Ghent town hall ...

... the architects Rombout Keldermans and
Domien de Waghemakere
built the Late Gothic wing
c.1482-1539
richly decorated with statues and tracery ...

... the Renaissance facade of the Ghent town hall
(built 1595-1618 with additions in the 18th century) ...

...The flamboyant Gothic style of the façade in Hoogpoort
contrasts sharply with the rather sober Renaissance ...

... Ghent's rich past right out of the history books ...

... The interior of the town hall
has witnessed 600 years of history...

source: visit gent

... Coat of arms of ...
... Philip the Bold / Filips de Stoute
(1363 – 27 April 1404)
Duke of Burgundy, Count of Artois, Charolais and
Flanders, Count Palatine of Burgundy

Margaret of Dampierre/Margaretha van Male
(1350 – 1405)
Duchess of Burgundy, Countess of Flanders, Nevers, Rethel and Artois
Duchess of Brabant and Limbourg
, Countess Palatine of Burgundy
John the Fearless /Jan van Valois
Jan zonder Vrees (1371– 1419)

Duke of Burgundy, Count of Artois and Flanders,
Count Palatine of Burgundy


Philip the Good / Filips de Goede
(1419-1467)
Duke of Burgundy, Brabant, Limburg, Lothier and Luxembourg,
Margrave of Namur, Count of Artois, Flanders, Hainault,
Holland and Zeeland, Count Palatine of Burgundy

Isabella of Portugal
(1430–1467)
3rd wife of Philip the Good

Town hall ... (EN)
by 4.gent.be
History - The entrance hall - The old chapel of Gedele -
The Pacification Hall -The chapel of the Aldermen of the Keure -
The Committee Room -The Reception Room -The Council Chamber -
The Gotic staircase - The Arsenal Hall - The Throne Room

-The room of the Treasory


Le Bal Infernal Café - Kammerstraat ...
by lebalinfernal.be
... bezig café ...

... Ons Huis / Bond Moyson on Vrijdagmarkt/Friday Market
(1899-1902) architect Ferdinand Dierkens ...
Although it is the large Art Nouveau window and horseshoe arch
that attract the attention, the whole building
is an example
of the mixture of styles called eclecticism. It was once the

home of Ghent’s first people’s hospital.

source: visit gent

.."Ons Huis/Our House" for the socialist workers union ...

... werklieden aller landen vereenigt u /
workers of all countries, unite!
inscription ...
... The political slogan found in The Communist Manifesto (1848),
by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels ...
... Contemporarily, some socialist and communist parties
continue using it.
Moreover, it is a common usage in popular
culture,
often chanted during labour strikes and protests ...
source: en.wikipedia.org


...'commercial treaty with England' on pedestal
statue of Jacob Van Artevelde...


... statue of Jacob van Artevelde on the Friday Market ...
... inaugurated on 14 September 1863 in the presence of King Leopold I. ...

Jacob Van Artevelde is pointing towards England.
His opportunistic support of the English king meant that in
the 14th century Ghent, and by extension the whole of
Flanders,
was able to remain largely neutral and continue to thrive during

the Hundred Years War. Thanks to the ‘Wise Man of Ghent’, the cloth
industry flourished as never before. 660 years after he was murdered
by
rivals, Ghent is still called the city of Artevelde.
source: visit gent

(in the background St. Jacob's church and
'Toreken',
formerly the tanners guildhall,was built
in Gothic style between 1450 and 1483.
)

Jacob Van Artevelde ... (c.1290 - 1345)
by en.wikipedia.org
... also known as 'the Wise Man' was
a Flemish statesman
and political leader...

counter