Friday, December 31, 2010

Are you awake? ...

... 'Are you awake?' graffiti in Catte Street, Oxford ...

 ... awake - definition ...
2. awake - mentally perceptive and responsive;
"an alert mind";
"alert to the problems";
"alive to what is going on";
"awake to the dangers of her situation";
"was now awake to the reality of his predicament"
... Catte street ...
...the name of this street was recorded as Kattestreete
 in the early 13th century, as Mousecatcher's Lane
 in 1442, and as Cat Street in the 18th century.
In the mid-19th century it became Catherine Street.
However, there was another street of this name in
east Oxford and in 1930 the City Council changed
the name to Catte Street, using a 15th-century spelling ...

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Oxford - Radcliffe Square ...

... the Old Schools Quadrangle ...
... of the Old Bodleian Library, known to Oxford
scholars as “Bodley” or simply “the Bod”...

... detail ...
 ... the south west corner of Radcliffe Square,
looking towards St Mary's ...
... a tourist group in front of the Radcliffe Camera,
and Brasenose College alongside ...

... The word‭ "‬camera‭" ‬means room in Latin and the
distinctive dome and drum shape of the Radcliffe Camera
holds the main reading room of the Bodleian Library.‭
This is one of the most famous buildings in Oxford ...
...  Radcliffe Camera (between 1737-1749)
... a large circular building with a lofty dome, designed 
by James Gibbs in the English Palladian style ...
 ... steeple of the University Church of St Mary the Virgin ...
... the 62m tower dates from circa 1280 ...
... the tower was decorated with spires and pinnacles
in 1315-25 and is considered the best example 
of Decorated Gothic architecture in Oxford ...
 ... detail of the magnificent Decorated Gothic spire ...
... at each of the four corners is a pair of pinnacles,
where statues of saints are sheltered under gables
decorated with ball-flowers. Another pinnacle
creeps up the spire behind each pair.
New statues were installed in the spire in 1894;
 the originals can be seen in the cloisters
of New College ...
 ... 'The Vaults & Garden Café' sign ...
... in front of the Old Congregation House (1320) 
 ... the University's first administrative centre ...
... Pure Ice Creams in a Wicked World ...
Marshfield farm
... Welcome to Ice cream heaven‭ …
‭... Very vanilla‭ - ‬chocoholic heaven‭ - coffee ripple‭
mint choc chip‭ – blackberry beauty‭ – ‬toffee fudge fiasco‭
diabetic vanilla‭ – ‬banoffee bonanza‭
‬Christmas pudding luxury ice cream ...
Radcliffe Square ...
... is completely surrounded by historic Oxford  University 
and college buildings. The centrepiece of the square
is the circular and imposing Radcliffe Camera, 
a library (originally for science) ...

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Oxford - High Street #1...

... the High Street in Oxford, England runs between
 Carfax, generally recognized as the centre of
the city, and Magdalen Bridge to the east.
Locally the street is often known as The High ...
1–5, The High: Lloyds/TSB Bank PLC
... there is a sharp contrast in style between the two sections
of the bank: the ornate corner section dates from 1900,
while the more severe section on the right 
is about a hundred years older ....
18, The High:  the Mitre Inn
... the present Mitre Inn dates from around 1630, but
 there has been an inn on this site sincearound 1300.
... In 1895 the Mitre absorbed the shop on the corner
 of Turl Street, so that its number, 18, became spare ...
... it has always belonged to Lincoln College, and its
name probably derives from the college coat of arms,
which depicts the mitre of the Bishop of Lincoln ...
... Tucked in behind the Mitre off the High Street,
is Turl Bar, in Turl Street ...

... In 1926, the Mitre ceased to function as a coaching inn
and became simply a hotel. The stables in Turl Street
behind were converted into the Turl Bar ...
24–31, The High / corner St Mary’s Passage:
... New Quadrangle of Brasenose College is not as old 
as they look: they were designed by the well-known
later Victorian architect T. G. Jackson ...
... the tower and the four bays are from 1887...
... the 15th-century High Street frontage of All Souls
College from the east with St Mary’s Tower and
All Saints Church, now Lincoln Library, behind ...
... All Souls College was founded in 1438 as a memorial 
to those who died in the 100 Years War with France,
hence its full name is The College of All Souls 

of the Faithful Departed....
... St Mary's possesses an eccentric baroque porch,
designed by Nicholas Stone in 1637.
It is highly ornate, with spiral columns supporting
a curly pediment framing a shell niche with a statue
 of the Virgin and Child, underneath a gothic fan vault.
The bullet holes in the statue were made
 by Cromwellian troopers in 1642 ...
32, The High: Warden’s House, All Souls College
built in 1704–6 by Dr George Clark
and refronted in 1876–7 by David Robertson.
37 and 38, The High: a matching pair of houses
dating from the 16th or early 17th century.
The oriel windows in the gables are supported
by 17th-century brackets, and even the barge-board
 above the windows dates from the 17th century.
n° 37: 1999–present Frederick Tranter: Tobacconist
n° 38: 1932-present: High Street Barbers ...
... view from The High towards Queen's lane ...
... intricately decorated west front and the square tower
of  the former Church of St Peter-in-the-East.
a fine 12th-century church that now functions
as the library for St Edmund Hall, one of
the colleges of Oxford University.
Tradition has it that St Peter-in-the-East is named
after the 5th-century San Pietro in Vincoli in Rome ...

... St. Edmund of Abingdon (2007) ...
by Rodney Munday - official website of the artist
... the first Master and Theologian of this University
(St Edmund Hall College) to become Archbishop of Canterbury

taught in and around this Church St Peter-in-the-East
during the years 1195-1201 and 1214-1222 ...
source: info plaque

... corner Longwall Street /High Street ...
... Magdalen College with its imposing tower,
at the eastern end of the High Street ...

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Oxford - High Street #2...

... a view east along the High Street, from Magdalen College ...

... Dragon Head boot scrapers on the Exam School building...
75–82, The High: Examination Schools were completed in 1882 ...
... detail of the Porters bell at the Examination School ...
... the Examination Schools were built in 1876 by
Thomas G Jackson, who used 16th century English
Renaissance architecture as a source of inspiration.
 University examinations have taken place
in this building since 1882 ...
... a view west along the High Street,
85, The High: Antiques on High ...

... looking accross the street towards:
50: oxford blue and 51: The Rose Tea Shop:
mock-Tudor range that was rebuilt
by Magdalen College in 1901 ... 

... Lewiss Caroll Chess set (hand painted) ...
by ... 
... these pieces were inspired by Tenniel's illustrations
of Lewis Caroll's characters in his books about
the adventures of Alice. 
The Kings and Queens are directly taken
Tenniel's illustrations as in the story. 
The bishops: Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum.
The knights: the walrus and the Unicorn.
The rooks: the lion and the Carpenter. 
The pawns: the rabbit
source: info Antiques on High
... the sign for Logic Lane, off the High Street ...
... Logic Lane was formerly known as Horseman Lane in 
the 13th and 14th centuries. During the medieval period,
a horse-mill was located here. It was also known as
Horsemull Lane.The name of Logic Lane was adopted
by the 17th century, due to a school of logicians
at the northern end of the lane ...
... the stately eastern portal of University College ...
... Chapel of the Univ ..
... the University College was founded in 1249 
by William of Durham. Its medieval buildings were
gradually replaced in the‭ ‬17th and 18th centuries.
The Chapel building in the Front Quad was begun
in‭ ‬1640‭ ‬and consecrated in‭ ‬1666,‭ ‬with fine Van Linge's
stained glass and Ante Chapel screen ... 
source:‭ ‬
116–117, The High: Oxford University Press Bookshop
... the pair of houses that form the shop date
from the late 18th or early 19th century.
In 1696 Alderman Hawkins paid tax on
ten windows at 116 High Street ...
1875–present : Oxford University Press
... Heraldic Shield - Magpie Lane, off the High Street...
High street ...
... the High Street in Oxford, runs between Carfax,
generally recognized as the centre of the city,
 and Magdalen Bridge to the east.
Locally the street is often known as The High ...

Monday, December 27, 2010

Oxford - Wheatsheaf Yard ...

... 'the Wheatsheaf' Public House sign...
tucked away in the Wheatsheaf Yard,
behind No. 129 High Street.
 ... sign, 'Wheatsheaf Yard', a pedestrian passageway
linking High Street to Blue Boar Street
in the very heart of Oxford City Centre ...
 ... down the alleyway ...
 ... up above the Wheatsheaf pub, a fairly average smallish venue
that hosts a lot of gigs from regular local bands or jazz nights ...
... the building is first recorded as an inn in 1662,
when it was called the Hen & Chicken.
It was not known as the Wheatsheaf until 1761.
 ... 'The House' decked courtyard terrace ...
... The House, Cocktail bar and restaurant ...
by  - 11, Wheatsheaf Yard
... Not just a pretty place 'The House' is also perfectly
located in the lanes behind the High Street. 
And the cocktails are great too; with perfectly
executed classics alongside lively new concoctions ...
... not something you’ll find down every Oxford alley...

Saturday, December 25, 2010

.. a very Gromit Christmas!

... The Oxford Post - OX1 1ZY, this Victorian Post Box is still
in service outside Oxford's main post office at St. Aldate's
Letters posted here used to go directly
to the basement to be sorted.
source: wirewiping - browniebear
... Royal Mail has been issuing Christmas stamps for almost 50 years ...
... Wallace & Gromit dress the Christmas tree on the 60p stamp ...

The zany humor of Wallace the madcap inventor and Gromit
the non-verbal dog isn't lost in the smallness of the stamps.
The sets are very detailed and full of holiday cheer.
Both Gromit and Wallace are silent, yet it's almost possible
to hear Wallace singing Christmas carols as Gromit
scowls and cuts his eyes toward Wallace.
And, of course, Gromit is the one doing all of the work.

by - 21st September 2010
The characters will appear on five seasonal stamps.
On second-class mail, Wallace lets rip with the carols
as Gromit raises an eyebrow (and no doubt thanks
his lucky stars for his ear muffs).
On the first-class stamp, the dog posts his own

stack of letters, while on the 60p stamp, 
the pair decorate a Christmas tree.
Gromit staggers under the weight of an enormous
Christmas pudding on the 97p stamp, and on
 the £1.46, he receives that classic Christmas sweater...
which looks a little on the large side.

Here's what readers have had to say so far.
The comments below have not been moderated.
Markgromit - Posted: Sep 21st 2010
Cracking! They certainly get my Stamp of Approval!! Pun intended!
Creative Review/Webdevelopment - Posted: Sep 21st 2010
Nice stamps, love W&G...
just wonder if they could have been a bit more witty...
Picture of Gromit queueing in the post office perhaps?
   Very christmassy though ...

Friday, December 24, 2010

Oxford - The famous red telephone box ...

... e-mail + text  + phone -
K6 square kiosks with domed roof ...

 ... Red Telephone Box facts:
... the K6, Red Telephone Box was designed by
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 to coincide with
the Jubilee of King George V. Sadly the King
 did not live to see any such examples installed ...
Initially known as the 'Jubilee' Kiosk, some
70,000 examples were installed around the UK
 between 1936 to 1968 ..

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Oxford - High Street - more alleyways ...

 ... time-trodden alleyways ...
... passage to Chiang Mai Kitchen, this 
was formerly known as Carter’s Passage ...
... 'Kemp Hall', on the right side.
According to Anthony Wood, "Kemp Hall" was
 an early university hall named after John Kemp,
 Archbishop of Canterbury, who studied there ...
... Alderman William Boswell, who lived at 130 High Street,
built the present Kemp Hall in his back garden in 1637,
and this date remains over the doorway...
By 1995–present: Chiang Mai Kitchen
... passage to The Chequers ...
... there is an old model of a dog holding a pocket watch 
in it's mouth over the shop front (Payne Silversmith).
The passage beneath this sign leads to the Chequers Inn behind ...
... Tile mural/ceramique plaque: illustration of a hare
and 'Halls Oxford & West Brewery Co Ltd' ...
Whilst Halls Oxford Brewery can trace its history back
to 1646, it was acquired by Allsopp & Sons Ltd in 1928.
Ind Coope resurrected the company in 1980
... The reasonably large number of plaques,
still to be seen in Oxford ...
... the attractive, colourful, easily cleaned, hygienic tiles
and faience could be used on the facade to catch the eye
of the passer-by, to present the symbol or brand image
of pub or brewery, to brighten up long corridors ...
... From 1260 until 1434, this was a private home 
which became the premises of a money-lender
who operated under the old Roman sign
 for that trade, the chequer board.
From 1279 it comprised 3 tenants, the western side

of which was converted into an inn by Richard Kent
in 1500 with oak panelling, a stone fireplace and
 carved stonework - much of which remains today.
The earliest reference to The Chequers Inn was

when John Greene, a wollendraper, was given
licence to keep an inn at All Saints in 1605 ...
source: info The Chequers
... various demonstrations and exhibitions were held here.
In 1757, a camel of Cairo was put on show and 
in 1758, siamese twins from Whitney.
By 1762, the inn almost became a zoo - with 14 large animals -
including a 'sea-lioness', another camel, an american marsupial,
a racoon and a very large fish, possibly a shark.
In 1776, a giant from Hertfordshire caused such interest
that he spent most of his time dining in various colleges.
During Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries,
it is said that soldiers drove a group of monks into
an underground passage which ran from the building
to The Mitre opposite, then sealed it up.
When the pub is very quiet, the screams of this 
dying monks can still be heard, so it is alleged.
No one has ever found a tunnel, let alone the bones
of dead monks beneath High Street ...
source: info The Chequers
The Chequers inn:
- proud selection of five local & seasonal ales,
- award winning sausages,
- the best in British sausages, served with pride ...

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Oxford - Carfax ...

... Carfax is located at the conjunction of St Aldate's (south),
Cornmarket Street (north), Queen Street (west)
and the High Street (east) in Oxford. 
It is considered to be the centre of the city ...
... Carfax, looking west from the High Street towards Queen Street.
St Aldate’s Street is on the left and Cornmarket on the right ...
... Tower of the Church of St Martin Carfax (Carfax Tower) ...
The tower is all that remains of the St Martin church that stood here.
The tower is 23 m (74 ft) tall, and no building in central Oxford
may be constructed higher than it.
The tower which is, probably 14th century  in origin; (probably 
with Saxon work also); it was restored in 1896 by Sir T G Jackson
who added the buttresses and turret ...

... the clock on the east side of Carfax is a copy of the original 
church clock, with ornate "quarterboys" in Roman military dress,
which hammer out the quarter hour on bells. These are replicas; 
the originals are on display in the Oxford museum ...
source: -
Carfax is the ancient heart of Oxford: its name is derived from
Quadrifurcus, where the four road from the four city gates meet.
It is dominated by the 13th-century church tower of
the former St Martin’s Church, the main part of which was rebuilt
in 1820 and then demolished in 1896 in order to widen the street...