Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Vougeot #1

... the initial vineyard consisted of donations in 1109
to 1115.
The vineyard was complete, and a wall
had been built
around it, by the year 1336 ...
source: en.wikipedia.org

... Château du Clos de Vougeot
(12th century - vineyards and wall
16th century - buildings) ...


... the great cellar (designed to hold
2000 casks of wine) ...

... Confraternity of the Knights of the Tastevin ...

... multiple roof lines ...

... a view inside the vineyard and a portion of the wall ...

The crowning glory of winegrowing Burgundy, the
Château du Clos de Vougeot is ideally situated
between Dijon and Beaune, in the very heart of one
of the most famous vineyards in the world –
the Clos Vougeot.

As early as the 12th century, the monks of nearby
Cîteaux Abbey started to cultivate vines and
needed to raise wine buildings for their vast domain.
The storehouse (cuverie) with its four monumental
wine presses and the great cellar (designed to hold
2000 casks of wine) all date from this period.

In 1551, Dom Loisier, 48th abbot of Cîteaux, decided
to complement these agricultural buildings with
a vast mansion, a veritable château in the vineyards,
complete with kitchen, wine cellars and a magnificent
staircase leading on to exceedingly handsome
Renaissance salons.
...
Classified as a historical monument in 1949, the
Château du Clos de Vougeot is today the headquarters
of the Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin
(Confraternity of the Knights of the Tastevin).
source: tourisme-dijon.com

Clos de Vougeot ... (EN)
by en.wikipedia.org
... is a wall-enclosed vineyard, a clos,
in the Burgundy wine region ...

counter