Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dijon #2

... The holy grail of pain d'épices lovers is
Mulot et Petitjean at 13, Place Bossuet, which opened
its doors in 1796 and is still run by the Petitjean family.
With its criss-crossed red timbers and deep triangular roof,
the shop even looks like a proper gingerbread house.
According to Madame Catherine Petitjean, the town's
passion for gingerbread stretches back 500 years to
the moment when Duke Philippe le Bon tasted a slice
in Belgium and begged his cooks
to rustle some up at home ...

source: independent.co.ik

... Rue de la Liberté (Freedom Street) ...

... Place de la Libération / Liberation Square ...

... Philippe le Bon Tower ...

"Palace of the Dukes and the States of Burgundy"/
Le Palais des Ducs et des Etats de Bourgogne
The present-day Palace owes its origin to a simple fort
adjoining the castrum (Roman camp) built in the 3C to
repel the Barbarian hordes. Starting in 1366 it was rebuilt
by the first of the Valois Dukes, Philippe le Hardi.
The Tour de Bar, opposite the Ducal Kitchens, is
the oldest building. The principal building is the work
of the Lyon architect Jean Poncelet (1450-1455).
The 52- metre high Tour de la Terrasse (now the Tour
Philippe le Bon) was built at the same time as the main
building and contained living quarters. Construction work
on the Palais des Etats got underway in 1681 and was
to last for over a hundred years under the direction of
architects of renown: Daniel Gittard, Martin de Noiville
and then, as from 1685, Jules Hardouin-Mansart,
the king’s premier architect who conceived the layout
of the palace based on the Place Royale.
The complex was not completed until 1786.

source: tourisme-dijon.com

... View onto Saint-Michael Church (1497) ...

... Hôtel d’Henri Chambellan, mayor in 1490,
then Counsellor to the Chamber of Accounts in 1500.

The building in this courtyard is a gem of Flamboyant
Gothic architecture in Dijon, remarkable for its carved
wood gallery with pendants, its monumental dormer
window with crocket-festooned pitches and
its spiral staircase. The centre-pin terminates with
the statue of a gardener carrying a basket
from which springs a palm vaulting.

source: tourisme-dijon.com

... restaurant Moulin à Vent - Place François Rude ...

... Boutique Maille mustard store ...

... tourist looking at a Dijon streetmap/pigeon ...
graffiti

... Arc de triomphe known as the Porte Guillaume,
on Place Darcy ...


... three frogs watching ...

... three kids watching three frogs
Who's watching Who?
'Jeunesse' fountain on Place Darcy
by Max Blondat (1872 – 1925)
(exhibited in the Royal Academy, 1910) ...

... Dijon railway station
as seen from Remparts de la Miséricorde ...

Gare de Dijon-Ville ... (FR)
by fr.wikipedia.org
... Le 01/08/1849 mise en service de la ligne
entre
Montereau et Tonnerre, par le PLM...

... ni patries ~~~ Amour
ni frontières ~~~~ Anarchie ...
... graffiti Remparts de la Miséricorde ...

... affiche Théâtre Dijon Bourgogne ... (FR)
by tdb-cdn.com
... saison 2009 - 2010 ...

counter