Monday, June 30, 2008

the Oosterweel Connection / Lange Wapper Bridge ...

... info exposition maquette town-planning Antwerp ...

... Waaslandtunnel works started in 1931 ...

... in front: the river Scheldt
then, Bonaparte Dock,
in the middle Museum aan de Stroom 'MAS'

(Museum on the River), a giant rectangular spiral of
a building
designed by Neutelings Riedijk Architects
and dedicated to
the history of Antwerp,
the harbor and its shipping industry

source: belgien.dk

in the background: Willem Dock marina ...

... air photo view and detail of the maquette:
Luc Tuymans Mosaic Art Work of Hanzestedenplein
(the Hanse(atic) Towns Square)

in front of the 'MAS' (Museum on the River)

where collections of three actual museums
will be moved:
National Maritime museum Het Steen,
Museum for
archaeology, history and art industry Vleeshuis
and Folklore museum ...


... left: the river Scheldt
in front: Loodswezen and VEV Building,

then Bonaparte Dock with white rectangular 'MAS' Building
in the background: six (new) towers and Kattendijk Dock ...

... het Eilandje / the Little Island ...
... left: the river Scheldt
in front: St Felix Warhouse (beige building)
then, 'MAS' and Willem Dock Marina,
then 'Verbindings Dock,
in the background the 6 (new) towers and
Kattendijk Dock with 8 historical dry-docks

... in front: the 2 needles of the Lange Wapper Bridge
over the Straatsburg Dock

in the background: the optimalization of Antwerp North ...


... different views of the maquette Lange Wapper Bridge ...

... and simulations of the Lange Wapper Bridge ...

... optimalization Lange Wapper Bridge ...

... the Oosterweel Connection ...

Lange Wapper Bridge ... (NL, simulation)
from:IvosPI - video : 05:43
... Longest bridge of this type is going to be constructed in Antwerp.
Estimated cost of 1,3 billion euros. ...
Movie taken from www.werkenantwerpen.be...
by bamnv.be
Diagrams and Maps
Overview Masterplan Projects
In order to improve mobility, traffic safety and
quality of life
in and around Antwerp ,...

Lange Wapper ... (EN)
by en.wikipedia.org
... an Antwerp Legend.
The legend started in the 16th century ...
  
Lange Wapper bridge plan collapses under weight of protestors ...
End September 2010, the Flemish Government decided
to choose for a tunnel to close the ring road ...

  
History 'het Eilandje'
A turbulent history behind it, ‘het Eilandje’ - or the Little Island -
has recently started to enjoy something of a revival.
Its story began in 1550 when a small plot of urban land
was first developed as a new and modern port area
complete with inlets, warehouses, companies and breweries.
When the Spanish conquered Antwerp in 1585, thousands of
Antwerpenaars fled and the city sank into economic decline.
There were few buildings in the area now known as the little island
until the eighteenth century. During French rule (1803-1813)
Napoleon had the Bonaparte and Willem docks excavated
and the port became an important marine base.
After the fall of Napoleon, advantage was taken
of the Napoleonic infrastructure and commercial establishments
were added, bringing economic prosperity to the port.
Both the size and number of ships grew constantly,
necessitating a new dock, the Kattendijkdok,
which was constructed just to the north.
The area around the docks was developed
and it was not long before port activity
and urban life began to interact.
The mix of blocks of buildings and docks
made it look as if the buildings were located on ‘islands’.
Further expansion followed to the north
even before the end of the nineteenth century.
The siting of these new docks had the effect
of producing a fissure between port and city
with the result that eventually the port areas closest
to the city (i.e. the little island) were abandoned
and gradually decline set in.
Yet in recent years the area has started
to enjoy a new lease of life.
source: belgien.dk

counter