Monday, June 30, 2008

the Oosterweel Connection / Lange Wapper Bridge ...

... info exposition maquette town-planning Antwerp ...

... Waaslandtunnel works started in 1931 ...

... in front: the river Scheldt
then, Bonaparte Dock,
in the middle Museum aan de Stroom 'MAS'

(Museum on the River), a giant rectangular spiral of
a building
designed by Neutelings Riedijk Architects
and dedicated to
the history of Antwerp,
the harbor and its shipping industry

source: belgien.dk

in the background: Willem Dock marina ...

... air photo view and detail of the maquette:
Luc Tuymans Mosaic Art Work of Hanzestedenplein
(the Hanse(atic) Towns Square)

in front of the 'MAS' (Museum on the River)

where collections of three actual museums
will be moved:
National Maritime museum Het Steen,
Museum for
archaeology, history and art industry Vleeshuis
and Folklore museum ...


... left: the river Scheldt
in front: Loodswezen and VEV Building,

then Bonaparte Dock with white rectangular 'MAS' Building
in the background: six (new) towers and Kattendijk Dock ...

... het Eilandje / the Little Island ...
... left: the river Scheldt
in front: St Felix Warhouse (beige building)
then, 'MAS' and Willem Dock Marina,
then 'Verbindings Dock,
in the background the 6 (new) towers and
Kattendijk Dock with 8 historical dry-docks

... in front: the 2 needles of the Lange Wapper Bridge
over the Straatsburg Dock

in the background: the optimalization of Antwerp North ...


... different views of the maquette Lange Wapper Bridge ...

... and simulations of the Lange Wapper Bridge ...

... optimalization Lange Wapper Bridge ...

... the Oosterweel Connection ...

Lange Wapper Bridge ... (NL, simulation)
from:IvosPI - video : 05:43
... Longest bridge of this type is going to be constructed in Antwerp.
Estimated cost of 1,3 billion euros. ...
Movie taken from www.werkenantwerpen.be...
by bamnv.be
Diagrams and Maps
Overview Masterplan Projects
In order to improve mobility, traffic safety and
quality of life
in and around Antwerp ,...

Lange Wapper ... (EN)
by en.wikipedia.org
... an Antwerp Legend.
The legend started in the 16th century ...
  
Lange Wapper bridge plan collapses under weight of protestors ...
End September 2010, the Flemish Government decided
to choose for a tunnel to close the ring road ...

  
History 'het Eilandje'
A turbulent history behind it, ‘het Eilandje’ - or the Little Island -
has recently started to enjoy something of a revival.
Its story began in 1550 when a small plot of urban land
was first developed as a new and modern port area
complete with inlets, warehouses, companies and breweries.
When the Spanish conquered Antwerp in 1585, thousands of
Antwerpenaars fled and the city sank into economic decline.
There were few buildings in the area now known as the little island
until the eighteenth century. During French rule (1803-1813)
Napoleon had the Bonaparte and Willem docks excavated
and the port became an important marine base.
After the fall of Napoleon, advantage was taken
of the Napoleonic infrastructure and commercial establishments
were added, bringing economic prosperity to the port.
Both the size and number of ships grew constantly,
necessitating a new dock, the Kattendijkdok,
which was constructed just to the north.
The area around the docks was developed
and it was not long before port activity
and urban life began to interact.
The mix of blocks of buildings and docks
made it look as if the buildings were located on ‘islands’.
Further expansion followed to the north
even before the end of the nineteenth century.
The siting of these new docks had the effect
of producing a fissure between port and city
with the result that eventually the port areas closest
to the city (i.e. the little island) were abandoned
and gradually decline set in.
Yet in recent years the area has started
to enjoy a new lease of life.
source: belgien.dk

Sunday, June 29, 2008

St Felix Warehouse

... Willem Dock marina ...

... the façade of the building is 57 metres long,
it is 78 metres deep and it covers an area of 3,870 m
It provides 23,081 m² of usable storage space ...
source: belgien.dk
... Hermes - the Greek God of trade ...

... the crane was driven by water-power ...

... the first warehouse in Antwerp
to be fitted with cast iron columns ...
source: belgien.dk


The St. Felix Warehouse (1985)...

... is the most important example of a 19th century warehouse.
Built for the ‘Compagnie des Magasins généraux et Entrepots libre’.
The building consisted of seven storeys (including cellar and loft)
and was the first warehouse in Antwerp to be fitted with
cast iron columns and a good fire protection system.

Between 1922 and 1940 the St Felix was used for storing coffee,
hops and grain. After World War II Parmesan cheese, wine, honey,
painted glassware and shoes were stored here.
Later on
the City of Antwerp let the whole complex
to the Tabak Natie,
which used it for storing tobacco.
source: belgien.dk

The building will not only house the new City Archives
but will also be a literary centre hosting organisations
such as Boek.be and the Belgian fund for literature.
There’ll also be writers’ cafés and bookshops selling
everything from the contemporary to the rare and antique.
The city council, together with renowned designer Jan Hoet junior
(son of the Belgian art connoisseur), eschewed traditional shops
and opted for ‘shop containers’ on wheels,
which allow the interior to change constantly.
The warehouse’s basement leads up to the Willem Dock,
making it an ideal place for an outdoor café
where you can enjoy a quiet drink.
The shopping centre will also function as a covered passageway
connecting the old city-centre of Antwerp to Het Eilandje,
Willem Dock marina, the Museum aan de Stroom
(Museum on the River) and the Red Star Memorial.
Culture on het 'Eilandje"
source: bthere brussels airlines ontoeurope.com


Het Sint Felixpakhuis als monument (NL)
by antwerpen.be
Het Sint-Felixpakhuis werd in 1859 gebouwd
naar een ontwerp
van de Brusselse architect Felix Pauwels....

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Warehouse-to-Loft Conversions

Warehouse Rubens

Pier 19

The Lofthouse

The truth about... loft apartments (EN)
by findaproperty.com
Time was when a loft conversion involved
some steps into the attic, a skylight in the roof,
and a couple of bunk beds for the kids...


Friday, June 27, 2008

Hoogboom

Jan van Hoogboom - Anno 1267 (2005)
by Rudi Devoght

"Bewaar Hoogboom", waren de laatste woorden
uitgesproken door de geest van Jan Van Hoogboom.
Vervolgens verplaatste hij zich symbolisch naar het standbeeld
op het kerkplein en verdween van het toneel.
Het metalen werk van kunstenaar Rudi Devoght uit de Holleweg,
dat een ruiter met paard in volle vlucht voorstelt werd,
samengesteld met oude werktuigen
die bij de inwoners werden ingezameld.

Burgemeester Koen Helsen (VLD) merkte op dat Hoogboom,
een wijk die 23 jaar geleden na een grenscorrectie met Ekeren,
bij Kapellen werd gevoegd, zijn eigenheid heeft weten te behouden
source: dirkvanmechelen.be


korte geschiedenis van Hoogboom (NL)
by oudepostkaarten.be
Wie was Jan van Hoogboom ?
Hij wordt vermeld in een oorkonde van 1267.
Deze oorkonde, opgesteld in het Latijn, ...
source: uit "Geschiedenis van Hoogboom" - HOBONIA

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Graffiti # 19 / KONTRE ...

... KONTRE LA TELEVISION,
KONTRE L'ETAT BELGE,
KONTRE LES TRAINS ...

by AMERTUME
PSYKOKLUB

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Longueville / Chaumont-Gistoux

Musée de l'Horlogerie (FR)
by pixelsbw.com
Dans la campagne brabançonne, entre Jodoigne et Wavre,
se niche un petit musée qui ravira les amateurs
de fine horlogerie d'art.
Jacques et Philippe Pater y ont réuni
une collection
de pièces exceptionnelles
couvrant quatre siècles d'histoire horlogère.

On peut y voir également une horloge astronomique
entièrement réalisée
dans les ateliers
de ces passionnés de la mesure du temps.

source: télétourisme rtbf

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Graffiti #18

Artistiek project “Snorkelzone”
by Filip Van Dingenen
Digital prints Burchtstraat - Leuven

Filip Van Dingenen is an artist (°1974 in Diest)
who works in the disciplines of new media and visual arts.
source: kunstonline.info

Kunstenaar Filip Van Dingenen werkte ruim een jaar
met de bewoners van de Ridderbuurt.
Samen hielden ze allerlei activiteiten en
werkten ze artistieke projecten uit
om de lange vuile muur van Keizersberg op te frissen.
Het resultaat, Snorkelzone, werd gevierd met een buurtfeest.

source: Het Nieuwsblad 23-sept-2006

counter